As well as all the attractions that manifest the Brazilian country culture such as the cooking, music, dance and all its entertainments, the Parque do Peão has many monuments that celebrate the rodeo, its professionals and animals which were elaborated by renowned artists.
Horse: Situated in front of the Administration Offices it was designed by Alex Periscinoto, one of the country’s greatest publicists.
Rosette: Symbol of Os Independentes located at the entrance of the Parque do Peão. Designed by Cesário Ceperó and Pedro Perozzi.
Little Chapel: Built in the Park´s Woods in honour of Nossa Senhora de Aparecida ( Our Lady of the Appeared), patron saint of rodeo cowboys. Designed by Cesário Ceperó and Pedro Perozzi.
Cowboy Monument: Standing 27m tall and weighing around 170 tonnes this enormous cowboy was idealized by Valter Corsino and developed by artist Juvenal Irene, it represents and honours all rodeo professionals and is situated at the Park´s main entrance.
Cowboy Museum: Built in the shape of a circus the Cowboy Museum makes a reference to the first Barretos Rodeo which happened under a circus tent. Many objects that tell the story of the Rodeo and the Brazilian country way of life are also found at the Museum.
Horse Riding Monument: Signed by Juvenal Irene, it is located near the main entrance to the Rodeo Arena and is 7 metres tall. This was built to honour the event which was the first to be held in a Brazilian rodeo.
Bull Riding Monument: Also by Juvenal Irene, this monument is 7 metres tall and is situated at the Riding School entrance.
Monument in Honour of the bull Bandido: This monument, also signed by Juvenal Irene, is a replica which is 20% larger than Bandido. Its features and expressions are identical to the animal that made history in Brazilian rodeo arenas for his fierceness.
Tourist Attractions in Town
Situated on Road 8, corner of the 13th Avenue
This is the initial and geographical mark of town, which means all distances are measured from this point. This was where the first houses of the Fortaleza Farm owned by Francisco Barreto were located, which gave origin to the town of Barretos.
A 7 metre high mural, built from the design and consultancy of Cesário Ceperó and Pedro Perozzi, it has embossed images of the Barreto Family, the Divine Holy Spirit, patron saint of the municipality, and the towns Coat of Arms with the motto: “Frates Sumus Omnes” (We Are All Brothers).
“Ruy Menezes” Municipal Arts and Culture Museum
17th Avenue, corner of Road 16
Created by the Municipality in April 1974 and given as a donation the whole Ana Rosa Museum collection, which used to be in one of the rooms of the Mário Vieira Marcondes School. The construction, which dates back to 1907 was once the Mayors Offices and headquarters of the Legislative Power. It is known as the “Eagles Palace”.
Divine Holy Spirit Cathedral
Francisco Barreto Square (Town Centre)
As the Barreto Family were devout founders of the Divine Holy Spirit, they donated 245 acres of land to the church and built their first chapel. At the end of the 19th Century, the construction of the cathedral began with Master Pavani Fioravante as the overseer.
The Cathedral follows the Roman style with presumptuous lines, Olympic columns and images of Saints, as well as works of art painted on stained glass and walls.
Paulo de Lima Corrêa Precinct
Nove de Julho Square
Inaugurated in March 1945 as a stage for the great cattle shows and products of the sort. It is an architectural work of unique beauty and considered a rarity of its kind given its unique style.
The precinct was chosen by Os Independentes as the stage for the Barretos Rodeo from 1956 to 1984, becoming the cradle of Brazilian Rodeo.
Centenário da Abolição Avenue
Three ornamental lakes which start at the Aleixo Stream, the Lake District has a cycling path and wide sidewalks for sports fans to do some jogging or nice walks at the end of the day.
NORTH SHOPPING BARRETOS
Situado a Via Conselheiro Antonio Prado, Nº 1400.
Telefone: (17) 3321-4100
Um shopping com conceito de "open mall" e estilo country, uma praça de eventos, cinema, lojas com diversidade de produtos e estacionamento para 400 veículos.
18th Street between Aves 35 and 33
With a beautiful landscaping project, this park is considered the nicest in town for its peaceful surroundings. There is a bandstand, a stream with bridges and a luminous fountain..
Town Central Square
An area in town for exclusive circulation of pedestrians with landscaping, public phones, newspaper stands and kiosks.
UNIFEB - (Barretos Federal University)
Situado a Avenida Professor Roberto Frade Monte, Nº 389
Telefone: (17) 3322-6411
This University has 14 options of graduate courses, technical courses and a Post-Graduate Centre. The University´s campus has basic and specific laboratories, dental clinics, internet centre, a library, a lunch room and a theatre with a seating capacity for 700 spectators.
CIDADE DE MARIA
Nadir Kenan Vicinal, Km 11
Inaugurated in 1981, a place built for Catholic congregations and to form religious followers.
Os Independentes Headquarters
18th Street, N°116
This building dates back to 1912.
Historic and Folkloric Cowboy Museum
Located in the Parque do Peão
Fone/Fax: (17) 3321-0000
Parque do Peão "MUSSA CALIL NETO"
Sito a Rodovia Brigadeiro Faria Lima km 428, s/nº
Telefone: (17) 3321-0000
Inaugurated in 1985, the Parque do Peão in Barretos is an area with approximately 240 acres where the Barretos Rodeo happens every year during the last two weeks of August.
The grandness of the space is impressive and enchanting. It has a commercial fair, a parking lot for 14 thousand vehicles, the Berrantão, a Little Cowboy Ranch, Camping area, the Queima do Alho Ranch, a Little Farm, Riding School and the magnificent Rodeo Arena which was designed by Oscar Niemeyer. The rodeo arena has a seating capacity for 35 thousand people.